Cashew Crema Recipe
February 18, 2020
This has been one of my most highly-requested recipes to put on the blog and what’s wonderful about it, is that it’s so quick and easy (truly!) to make. Cashew crema has been an absolute staple in my diet as a vegan. Great tasting vegan food is all about spices and sauces to compliment those veggies. This sauce (or ‘crema’ as I think to call it) goes with almost anything. I’ll use it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. As an added cream to a ‘cheesy’ pasta sauce, as an entire dressing for a Buddha bowl, or as dipping sauce for fries. It’s wonderfully versatile and can be eaten straight out of the jar (Eddie loves licking the NutriBullet container whenever I’m finished making this!).
Right, onto the recipe!
CASHEW CREMA RECIPE:
Serving size: ~ 350ml
Prep time: 30 mins. Cook time: 5 minutes
- ~ 2 cups of raw cashews
- 1 lemon (juice of)
- 5 roasted garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- ~ 1 tsp of olive oil
- ~ 1-2 cups of water
- First things first, you have to soak the raw cashews in water and you have two choices: 1.) soak in tepid water for about 4 hours or 2.) if you’re in a rush you can soak them in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Roast the garlic cloves in some olive oil. This can be done in the oven (about 30-45 mins until golden brown) or, how I tend to do it, in an air fryer wrapped in some aluminium foil which takes only about 10-15 mins.
- Strain the cashews and put them in a NutriBullet along with the roasted garlic cloves (along with the small amount of olive oil you roasted them in), a pinch of salt (you can adjust to your liking as you go), the juice of one lemon, and start with about 1 cup of water.
- Blend and add water as necessary. You can make the cashew crema whatever consistency you like! Adding water will change its thickness so tweak this as you like.
- Et voila! Pop in the fridge and keep for about 4-5 days.